Rhode Island Style Seafood with Spicy Pineapple
- Canola oil for frying
- 3/4 lb whole calamari, cleaned and sliced into rings
- 3/4 lb shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 cup pickled cherry peppers, stems and seeds removed, sliced into rings
- 1/2 cup Spicy Pineapple 'Chups
- 1 small bunch Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Combine cornmeal, flour, cornstarch, salt, and cayenne in a large bowl.
- Add shrimp and calamari to flour mixture, tossing to coat.
- Heat oil in a straight sided pot until a thermometer reads 375 degrees.
- Use a frying basket or wire spoon to shake off excess flour and place seafood into hot oil.
- Fry for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, or until calamari rings rise to the top and are golden brown.
- Work in batches to fry seafood so pot is not overcrowded.
- Remove seafood with basket or wire spoon and drain on paper towels.
- After frying, place seafood into a large bowl with the cherry peppers and Spicy Pineapple 'Chups.
- Toss or gently stir ingredients together and serve on a platter.
- Garnish with parsley and lemon wedges. Serves 4 - 6.