Fried Chicken Biscuits with ‘Chups Biscuit Sauce
Biscuit Sauce Ingredients
- ½ cup Cherry ‘Chups
- 1 heaping Tbsp deli style chopped hot peppers
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Combine all ingredients and allow to stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- While resting, prepare the biscuits and chicken.
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 6 Tbsp cold butter, cut into ⅛ inch cubes
- 1 ½ Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup whole milk plus 2 Tbsp
- Pre-heat oven to 425
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add butter and combine into flour mixture with a fork. Use fingers to break up large pieces and combine until mixture is crumbly.
- Slowly add milk while stirring with the fork until just combined. Do not over-work (clumps are cool!).
- Flour a working surface and remove dough from bowl. Flip dough so both sides are floured.
- Dust your hands with flour and gently press dough into a rectangle 1 inch thick. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow to rest about 15 minutes.
- Fold dough on itself, dust with flour again, and press back into a rectangle. Repeat twice more.
- Dust the rim of a thin drinking glass (~3 inches in diameter) and cut biscuits by pressing down straight through the dough.
- Cut as many biscuits as possible and gently rework dough until all dough is formed. (Should allow for 8 to 9 biscuits).
- Use fingers to coat tops of biscuits with remaining milk.
- Bake at 425 degrees for about 13 minutes, or until golden brown.
Fried Chicken Ingredients
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into thirds on a shallow angle
- 2 eggs plus 2 Tbsp water
- 1 cup plus ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup corn meal
- 2 Tbsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tsp cayenne
- canola oil for frying
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet or pot to 350 degrees using a thermometer.
- Gently whisk egg and water together to create egg wash.
- Combine ⅔ cup flour, cornmeal, Old Bay, and cayenne in a shallow bowl.
- Dust chicken in remaining flour, coat with the egg wash, then coat in the breading.
- Fry chicken in oil for about 4 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Cover a plate with paper towels; remove chicken from oil and allow to cool on the plate for several minutes.
- Split biscuits in half.
- On the bottom half, place several bread-and-butter or sweet garlic pickles.
- Place fried chicken on top of pickles.
- Spoon the biscuit sauce on the top half of the biscuit.
- Sandwich two halves together and stuff yo’ face.