- 1.5 c warm water
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 package yeast
- 4.5 c all purpose flour (plus more for dusting)
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 10 c water
- 2/3 c baking soda
- Vegetable oil
- Two sheet trays, lined w/ oiled parchment paper
- 1 egg beaten, with 1/4 c water
- Coarse kosher or pretzel salt
- Mix 1.5 c warm water, yeast, sugar, and salt in a bowl and let stand 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl gradually combine flour with yeast mixture and melted butter.
- Knead dough on a floured surface approximately 10 minutes until stretchy.
- Roll dough into a ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover and allow to rise 1 hour in a warm place.
- Punch down dough and roll into desired pretzel or loaf shape.
- Bring 10 c water to a boil, then add baking soda.
- Working in batches, boil pretzels for 1 minute each, turning halfway.
- Drain with a slotted spoon and place pretzels on baking trays.
- Brush pretzels with egg wash and top with coarse salt.
- Bake in a 450 degree oven for 14 minutes, turning trays and swapping rack position halfway.
- Allow pretzels to cool before serving, or go ahead and burn your mouth real bad.