Steak Frites with Plum Steak Sauce
- 1/8 yellow onion, minced
- 1/4 cup raisins, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger root, grated
- 1 navel orange, juiced
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup Plum 'Chups
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 lb cut flat iron steak, trimmed
- 2 russet potatoes
- Canola oil for frying
- Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
Steak Sauce Directions
- Combine onion, raisins, garlic, ginger, orange juice, vinegar, and brown sugar in a sauce pot.
- Simmer 10 minutes and reduce liquid by half.
- Add Plum 'Chups, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Continue simmering 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain mixture through a fine mesh strainer.
- Transfer to glass container and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Make up to a day ahead.
- Bring steak to room temperature.
- Season with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Grill steak over high heat or hot coals 3 to 4 minutes per side until medium rare.
- Remove to a platter and top with a large pat of butter.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes before slicing.
- Slice russet potatoes into large steak fry rectangles.
- Soak in cold water 30 minutes, swirling and changing the water after 15 minutes.
- Remove potatoes to paper towels and dry thoroughly.
- Fry potatoes in 350 degree canola oil until browned.*
- Drain frites and remove to a paper towel. Immediately season with salt.
Serve steak sauce alongside sliced hanger steak and frites.