Pumpkin 'Chups Empanadas
- 1 lb ground beef (93% lean)
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 can tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin 'Chups
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus dusting
- 3/4 stick butter, very cold, diced
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup cold water
To Prepare Filling
1. Heat skillet over high heat and brown ground beef in olive oil.
2. Once brown, sprinkle seasonings over beef and stir several minutes, until fragrant.
3. Add onion, jalapeno, and raisins and cook 4 - 5 minutes, until onions are transparent.
4. Add tomatoes and Pumpkin 'Chups, stir thoroughly.
5. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes. If mixture becomes dry add 1 Tbsp water.
6. Fold cilantro into mixture, remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
To Prepare Dough
1. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
2. Cut butter into flour using a pastry knife, or mix by hand.
3. Rub butter and flour mixture through your hands until all butter is incorporated, reaching a sandy consistency.
4. Add cold water to mixture gradually, stirring with a fork until it comes together.
5. Dust table surface with flour and knead dough for 8 - 10 minutes.
6. Place dough back into mixing bowl, cover, and let rest 15 minutes.
To Assemble Empanadas
1. Working in batches, roll out dough to 1/16th of an inch and cut out circles 6 inches in diameter.
2. Add a heaping spoonful of filling to the center of a circle.
3. Fold one side of the dough over the filling and align it with the other side.
4. Press edges of dough together and starting at the corner, fold the edge onto itself.
5. Brush top with egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1/4 water).
6. Repeat steps 1-5. Makes 12 to 13 empanadas.
7. Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes, or until empanadas are golden brown.