Mango 'Chups Roasted Chicken
- 1 3.5 to 4 lb organic chicken
- 3 to 4 large carrots, halved
- 3 to 4 parsnips, halved
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 to 4 springs fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 cup Mango 'Chups
- Wash and pat dry the chicken
- Standing the chicken on a cutting board use a sharp knife to slice down either side of the backbone. (Remove it, but reserve for stock later.)
- Quarter the chicken, making another small incision between the leg and thigh, and halve the breasts again, horizontally. (Yields six separate pieces.)
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems and combine with the butter and pepper.
- Smear butter mixture on top and sides of chicken, and under skin.
- Place chicken pieces in a large dish, cover loosely, and refrigerate one to six hours.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Remove chicken from refrigerator and allow to warm to room temperature
- Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil
- Toss carrots and parsnips with olive oil and 1/2 tsp salt and place in bottom of roasting pan.
- Arrange chicken pieces evenly on top of vegetables and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Roast for about 40 minutes uncovered until evenly golden brown.
- Remove pan from oven and brush with Mango 'Chups.
- Return pan to oven and roast an additional 10 minutes.
- Chicken is done when a sharp knife can be inserted and removed cleanly, and juices run clear