Caribbean Coconut Shrimp
- 1 lb large shrimp, butterflied and deveined
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 can beer
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- Canola or coconut oil (or a blend) for frying
- Mango or Spicy Pineapple 'Chups
- Rinse shrimp and thoroughly pat dry. Allow to warm to room temperature if refrigerated
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pot or skillet to 350 degrees.
- Toss shrimp in 1/3 cup flour and coat evenly.
- Whisk together remaining flour, beer and baking soda to make a batter.
- Dredge shrimp by the tail in batter.
- Spread coconut on a plate and lay shrimp on top. Cover with remaining coconut to coat evenly.
- Shake off excess coconut and place in hot oil.
- Fry 5 to 6 shrimp at a time. Cook 2 to 3 minutes each, until coconut is golden brown.
- Remove shrimp from oil and place on a paper towel. Immediately sprinkle with sea salt.
- Serve shrimp with a side of Mango 'Chups for dipping.